Literacy Programs for School-age Children
Metropolitan Library System offers programs at locations throughout the Metro.
ReadOKC is an initiative of the Foundation for Oklahoma City Public Schools that encourages students to read by offering reading challenge incentives, recruiting adult Reading Buddies to read with children during the school day, and providing access to books through Little Libraries and other resources. For more information, call 405-604-5977.
Online Resources for Parents
Distance Learning Resources
COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic has changed the way we approach public education and distance learning is prevalent in most communities. Thanks to education leaders and organizations across the United States, there are myriad resources for young people, parents, and educators to find grounding during this unprecedented moment and engage in rich distance learning experiences.
- https://www.oeta.tv/education/learning-at-home/ - OETA provides curriculum-based programming for students over the air on its broadcast channel.
- https://www.education.com/ - Join for free today and browse 30,000+ digital and printable learning resources from worksheets and online games to lesson plans and more for preschool through 5th grade.
- https://www.uniteforliteracy.com/ - Unite for Literacy Library provides free access to more than 400 original picture books, one fourth of them written in Spanish. The digital books provide audio narrations in more than 40 languages, spoken by native speakers in warm, expressive voices.
- https://www.storylineonline.net/ - Storyline Online®, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
- https://education-reimagined.org/distance-learning-resource-center/ - Education Reimagined provides resource for learning for students, parents and teachers.
- https://wideopenschool.org/ - Wide Open School provides free learning activities and materials for preschool through 12th grade.
- https://okbookshack.org/free-homeschool-materials/ - Free Homeschool Materials provides educational curricula and materials for free
Read with the OKC Zoo
Check out the new book Juniper's Butterfly Garden: A Small Start For A Better World from a participating library, and you'll get 4 free tickets to the OKC Zoo. Get more info and see a list of libraries here.