Skill is optional at this game night fundraiser for literacy! Enjoy food, drinks, two games of Scrabble, and drawings for prizes at the 10th Annual Scrabble Showdown.
Early bird tickets are $30 per person and include food and one drink ticket. Spectator tickets are $20 each and also include food and one drink ticket. After September 9, registration is $35 per person.
Teams of two play in Novice or Intermediate levels. Those without partners before the event will be randomly matched the night of the event with someone in their same level of play. Advanced players compete one-on-one.
Levels of play
Novice - If you haven’t played Scrabble in years or you are a self-proclaimed horrible speller, this is the division for you. The Novice division bends the rules and really knows how to put the “fun” in fundraiser! Grab a friend. Two-person teams or single players can play in the Novice division. Teams will be competing for two $50 Amazon gift cards.
Intermediate - If you dominate family game night or you’ve been playing in the Scrabble Showdown for a couple years and want a taste of competition, register to play in the Intermediate division. Two-person teams or single players also play in the Intermediate division. Teams will be competing for two $75 Amazon gift cards.
Advanced - If you’ve been at the top of the leader board in the Intermediate division for a few years and want some tougher competition, consider playing in the Advanced/Club division. Our friends from the OKC Scrabble Players Club play by the North America Scrabble Players Association tournament rules. Cheats and Assists may not be used in Advanced/Club division games. This is a one-on-one competition and the winner will receive a $100 cash prize!
Purchase “assists” or “cheats” and take your game to the next level! New this year: Save time during check-in by purchasing Cheats and Assists in advance when you register. They also will be available at the event.
- $10 – Official Scrabble Showdown Cheat Sheet has useful 2- and 3-letter words (no other sheets, notes, apps, phones, etc. allowed)
- $10 – Suggested Play from the Club Pro (no limit on number of suggested plays purchased or used per round but please take turns if others are waiting)
- $10 – Extra Tiles with A-Z are randomly drawn, and each can be used once per game
- $10 – Double Word Score may be used once per game on any word that is not already a Double or Triple Word Score on the board
- $20 – Triple Word Score may be used once per game on any word that is not already a Double or Triple Word Score on the board
- $20 – Blank Tiles may be used once per game (only 20 available!)
New this year
We’ve made a few changes to the event format and scorekeeping.
- Doors will open at 6 p.m. Eat, drink, and buy your raffle tickets before Game 1 begins at 7:00 pm. Free parking is available, and parking assistants will be on site.
- There will be two games of Scrabble this year (instead of three) but more prizes!
- For Game 1, teams will be randomly matched with other teams in their division. After Game 1, the highest scoring teams in the Novice and Intermediate divisions will be awarded Amazon gift cards (2 x $50 for Novice and 2 x $75 for Intermediate).
- For Game 2, teams that won the first game will be matched with other teams in their division that won. Teams that did not win the first game will be matched with other teams in their division that did not win. After Game 2, the highest scoring teams in the Novice and Intermediate divisions will receive Amazon gift cards (2 x $50 for Novice and 2 x $75 for Intermediate).
- As always, you don’t have to put up a high score on the Scrabble board to win! This year we will have raffle packages rather than a silent auction. Our raffle packages have something for everyone. The popular $20 for 20 raffle will be back, and we’ve added quick word games like Bananagrams on table tops.