Mission, Vision and Goals
Metropolitan Oklahoma City is a fully literate community.
To lead a collaboration of literacy providers and supporters to strengthen services and present a united voice for literacy in Metropolitan Oklahoma City.
- To ensure that anyone who wants literacy services can access them
- To ensure that literacy providers have the resources needed to provide the best possible services to learners
- To bring the community together in order to present a united voice for literacy
- We seek to promote awareness of literacy issues and resources to the community.
- We facilitate connection of learners to services, volunteers to opportunities, and providers to each other.
- We offer support to literacy providers so they can supply quality services to even more learners.
History of the Coalition
In 2006, leaders from the Junior League of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma City Community Foundation, United Way of Central Oklahoma, Community Literacy Centers, Inc., and R.S.V.P. (Retired Senior Volunteer Program) responded to increasingly low literacy levels in metropolitan Oklahoma City. They convened more than 80 members of the community to discuss literacy problems and find solutions.
Eight task forces worked for a year and created a blueprint for increasing literacy levels. They determined there needed to be a backbone organization to implement the blueprint. Thus, the Oklahoma City Metro Literacy Coalition was founded in June 2007.